Sunday, December 7, 2008

Decision Speed (When you absolutely must take off)

Hello! You have found the second chapter in a unique note series on slaying apathy in the world. Decision Speed is a concept I'm beginning to execute after several months of intense soul searching-- not fun, but it was worth it. I invite you to come along with me as I write my magnum opus after too many years of university training (Tommy Boy territory- eek! but the end is nearing) and respond to God's pressing call on my heart to find others who feel likewise and strategize for the future. I've chosen Facebook as my medium, because everyone is here. As for me, I'm a journo major and a thinker. I read way too much and occasionally pop outside my cave for a good dose of outdoors. Basically, Decision Speed is what I was made to write. Don't care? Then, the first blog is for you. MY PROMISE: Like an antique show in Tokyo, I'll blend the old and the new, the historical and the futuristic. I won't lie-- these are blogs about social change. Even if you hate change, if you have even the loosest affiliation with Jesus or church, I believe you'll want to hear what I have to say. I am no stranger to the art of publishing-- I just hope I can keep your interest long enough to get to the good stuff. I have little desire to publish or to be heard online-- in fact, I prefer coffee shop discussions with good friends. Although I've written a few blogs, I haven't organized my ideas around a central concept like Decision Speed. In fact, it is the dire situation that has brought me into the court of Internet opinion. If you didn't know, decision speed is the predetermined airspeed which a pilot knows he must pull on the yoke and put his plane in the air. Below decision, you stay on the runway and slam on the brakes. Above decision, you must fly. I am writing this series because I have reached the point in my life where I can no longer slam on the brakes. I know many are arriving here as well. We are go for takeoff. I have a burning desire to tell the truth-- and once chance to do it. Quickly, I'd like to say thanks for browsing. I love to hear from people who agree, disagree, or who just enjoy writing things in boxes. It's best to start with The Gate, which serves as a precursor to this series. If you've interacted with that note, you've seen how caring is daring and have begun to consider your own life. Many of us are pushed to the limit with family, work and a myriad of social commitments. We are busy. We guard our time! Yet, you read on, cautiously, because you're waiting for the slaying I promised. You're waiting for something decisive to come and blast the stupid out of this messed-up world. Get ready for football metaphors. You're waiting for a touchdown or a turnover. But it's HALFTIME. Welcome to Decision Speed. In Decision Speed, I'll tell the score (hint: a few field goals won't get us back in this one) and why our game plan absolutely must change for the second half of the game. After this chapter, I promise I'm done with football metaphors. Go [insert your favorite playoff team here]! Your faithful culture wonk, Andrew

0 comments: