Monday, March 2, 2009

Color-coded

One way I've changed in the past few months is my level of organization.  For a long time, it was convenient to say, "I'm not organized," and then outsource all my comings, goings and doings to someone else more "Type A".

But then, people asked of me things I hadn't been asked before.  In other words, people were outsourcing to me.

"Manage this."
"Research this."
"Call these people."
"Get Job A done with Persons 1 & 2"
"Show up at Point A at this Time X, and be ready"

So, I established systems of organization to supplement the limited amount of Random-Access Memory in my brain.  I wrote things down.  I referred to lists.  I color-coded and organized my life.

And I feel a lot better!  I get more done, and I have more context for where I am, at every step of the way.  I wouldn't call myself "organized" now, but I definitely am developing systems to keep myself in the game.

1. Write your goals down
2. Write action items to accomplish those goals
3. Highlight when you're done

Write organization blog.  Check.


0 comments: